Tuesday, September 05, 2006

O Brother (and Sister), Where Art Thou?

You'll notice that my siblings will get mentioned in this column from time to time. So it seemed wise to introduce them right from the get-go.

My brother, Eric Mendelsohn, teaches film directing at Columbia Univeristy in New York. He started his career working on many a Woody Allen film as an assistant to Jeff Kurland, Woody's longtime costume designer. In 1999 Eric won the directing award at the Sundance Film Festival for his film, "Judy Berlin," a love letter of sorts to the bleak, suburban Long Island landscape of our youth. The film was written for, and stars, Eric's best friend, Edie Falco. Even cooler, Judy Berlin co-stars Barbara Barrie, who played the mom in one of my all-time favorite movies, Breaking Away.

It took Eric 25 years to admit that the television which "fell" on him as a child, resulting in stitches around his eye, never actually fell. He tried to weigh it on a scale.

My brother Daniel is a well-known Greek scholar, and an equally well-known book critic. He is a regular contributor to The New York Review of Books and The New York Times Book Review. He received his Ph.D. in Classics from Princeton University in 1994. In 2001 he won the National Book Critics Circle award for Excellence in Criticism, and in 2002 he won the George Jean Nathan Prize for Drama Criticism. He's a smart guy. And if I haven't mentioned, he's got a book coming out an the end of the month.

My sister Jennifer claims that I once stuck a carrot up her nose when she was young. I think she's right. Like Daniel, Jennifer is also a writer, having written for Washingtonian, USA Weekend, and People. These days she's teaching writing at a small college in Baltimore. In her not-so-secret other life Jennifer is also known as the author of the popular Sulla Tips, a series of wedding tips that began as postings on The Knot.

My oldest brother, Andrew, is the black sheep of the family, having devoted his life to the study of physics (yuk). Andrew received his Ph.D. from Stanford and has worked for a company called Stanford Research Systems for many years. I still don't really understand what they make, but that's probably why I was an English major. After Andrew went into physics, my father, who is a mathematician, must have thought all his children would end up like him. But, alas, he was a mere one-for-five.

And then there's me, the photographer. That's Cooper, btw, the wonder dog, in the self-portrait.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh-oh, the floodgates are open and I have created a blogging monster! Maya, I think the days wasted on Romanesco are about to be replaced with Matt writing about himself and the rest of that Mendelsohn clan!

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home