Thursday, March 08, 2007

BULLETIN: 'The Lost' Wins NBCC!!!!

Boy, this is very exciting! Our first breaking news bulletin!

It makes me very proud to report that my brother Daniel's book, "The Lost: A Search for Six of Six Million" just won the National Book Critics Circle Award for best autobiography of 2006. The National Book Critics Circle Awards are among the most prestigious in all of publishing. I'm obviously tickled pink here, especially since I traveled with Daniel all over the world, photographing the people and places that make up 'The Lost.'

For those of you who have had to put up with me talking about 'The Lost' for the last year, thanks for your patience. I've been taking photographs for a living since 1986 but this marked the first time that my subjects had any type of personal connection, especially one to such a tragic event. My great-uncle Shmiel, his wife and four daughters all died terrible and anonymous deaths. That people are reading about them, talking about them at book clubs, and feeling for them some sixty-six years after they died is really a remarkable thing.

Congratulations, Daniel!


Matt

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Matt and Daniel!!!!!!

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A deserving honor! Congratulations Matt and Daniel!

8:50 AM  
Blogger nan said...

Wonderful news! The Lost is truly brilliant, and it is great to see Daniel get this well-deserved honor!

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this is fantastic news! I am almost finished reading the book and it has been a truly amazing journey. Very well deserved recognition...congratulations!

1:07 PM  
Blogger LaCour said...

Congrats guys! This is awesome. Looking forward to catching up in Vegas!

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought some of those sentences were too long.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still have not started reading. But i won't take it back till I do. It looks amazing.

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home