Sunday, September 24, 2006

Number 9, Number 9, Number 9

Just a quickie post tonight: "The Lost: A Search for Six of Six Million" hit #9 tonight on Amazon. That's pretty amazing. That it was the cover of the New York Times Book Review on Sunday certainly helped, as did the glowing review itself. I'm very proud of Daniel, needless to say. I might even forgive him for breaking my arm when we were little.

We're all headed up to New York on Tuesday for the big book party, followed by a reading at Barnes and Noble on Wednesday. After that, Daniel's headed down to our neck of the woods for a reading at Borders in Tysons Corner on October 3. I hope some of you guys can make it. For a full schedule of readings around the country, click here.

One quick aside: I know this is supposed to be a blog about my photography. So if any of you are getting tired of hearing about my brother's book, I apologize! But this is all very exciting stuff, especially given that I traveled so extensively with Daniel as we were researching The Lost. And it's quite emotional too: my great-uncle Shmiel, his wife, and their four daughters were all murdered, quite anonymously, between 1939 and 1941. Just knowing that so many people are now reading about them, talking about them, and feeling for them is a surreal experience.

Once this simmers a bit we'll get back to weddings and such, I promise.

Matt

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynne said...

Dear Mr. Mendelsohn,

Having just completed my reading of your brother's book, you must be congratulated on your significant contributions to the book and to the outcome of the journeys. As your brother has stated, your ability to view a situation from another perspective changed the course of the journey and of his thinking. The opportunity to see the places and people and emotions through your eyes was invaluable.

Thank you.

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! My name is Julia Ha and I too just read your brother's book. I am a sophomore at UCSD right now and am actually a history major, planning to focus in revolution and social change. I was really moved by not only the book but also your photos and the role you played in your brother's book. I am what you call a VERY amateur photographer but I must say, I love taking pictures, being able to capture and preserve pieces of history that otherwise would never have been chronicled.

Thank you for reinvigorating my interest in photography and congratulations on all your success :)

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home