Saturday, May 05, 2007

A Willard wedding


The posts have gotten a bit on the ponderous side of late, so just a quickie post about last week's wedding of Shari Maletsky and Aragorn Smith at the Willard.

It seems like forever ago that I met with Aragorn and Shari at the studio. And sometimes when that much time goes by one forgets little details about the couple. Remember, I meet with most couples a year before their wedding. Most days I'm just lucky if I can remember where I left my keys. So in this case I forgot how laid back and fun these guys were. But by the time I started shooting Aragorn shaving in his room at the Willard, and saw that he had shaving cream on his nose and around his eyes, like some deranged elf, I remembered.

Shari and Aragorn were married in the hotel's Crystal ballroom, a magnificent turn-of-the-century space that truly takes one back through Washington history. (Remember, the term "lobbyist" comes from the Willard's famous foyer.)

Anyway, it was a beautiful affair, marked primarily by it's high level of joy and low level of stress.

A case in point (and Shari, forgive me for mentioning this!): At one point before the ceremony, we were taking some photographs outside in the patio area. Though we were outside for less that three minutes at that time, the bottom of Shari's dress got a little dirt spot on it. With 420 weddings of experience under my belt, I can safely say that a lot of brides would have had a meltdown. Shari didn't bat an eye. She was completely and utterly cool and collected. I was really impressed!!

I have to hurry up because I need to get back to--where else--the Willard for what promises to be another great wedding this afternoon. Today's ceremony is at St. Sophia, the fabulous Greek Orthodox cathedral off Mass. Ave. I'll keep you all posted!


Matt



6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! It must have been a delight to shoot a wedding at the Willard. I love that hotel. I took my parents there to see the famous lobby, when they were visiting last year.

Best regards, Djenno

8:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you, Matt. Your commentary & the pictures that are up are just beautiful. I can't wait to see the rest soon enough!

We loved having you do our wedding! Aragorn and I both know that if we ever need photography in the future (kids, etc.) - you will be the first one we ask!

Take care and thank you again,
Shari

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the rest, Aragorn and Shari, you guys know how to throw a celebration! Thanks so much, and Matt, you must be a great photographer....Shari, the pic. of just you (shoulders up) is absolutley beautiful!

Debby

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish that we could have been there to share such a special day with you guys! Shari you are so beautiful - and I can't wait to meet you! (Thanksgiving hopefully!)
Keep in touch with us!!!
Love ~
Stacey

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Wedding Photos of Shari and Aragorn are absolutely beautiful. The pictures absolutely show off the beauty and fun of the wedding festivities! Can't wait to see the rest. You have captured the love and beauty of these two beloved ones!

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for article!

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home