Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Baywatch

We're going to switch gears a bit now, from some of the more serious posts of the last few days, and return to good old weddings--my bread, my butter. And to that end, I'm going to spend a little time on last week's marathon Chesapeake Bay wedding of Matt McGill and Lori Alvino. One of the cool things about a blog is that you can tell where your "hits" are coming from, and I noticed that twice today someone logged onto The Dark Slide from French Polynesia. Since I don't really
have a client base in French Polynesia--at least not that I know of--I'm assuming it's Matt and Lori checking in. So let's not make them wait any longer.

I knew the minute I met Lori and Matt, about a year ago, that their wedding would be anything but typical. While they're both very, very accomplished--Lori just finished a clerking for Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Matt clerked for Chief Justice John Roberts, prior to his appointment to the Court--it was their general irreverence, a trait I've been known to exhibit once or twice, that I was drawn to. Though we took some cool engagement pictures among the columns of the Supreme Court last year, the image they ended up choosing for their save-the-date card was one of Matt carrying Lori in a fireman's carry, like something out of a Borat sketch or a B.C. comic strip.

(It wouldn't be until much later that I realized we have even more in common: Matt and I are both crab-aholics, Lori and I both hate to drive over the Bay Bridge, and Matt's favorite song, like mine, is Thunder Road. But here's the weird part: I tend to sing Thunder Road whilst driving over the Bay Bridge, to keep my mind off of it.)

So I knew this would be a great affair and it certainly didn't disappoint. Starting with a Thursday crab feast during a monsoon, and ending with a late night, post-wedding karaoke jam, this wedding changed gears as often as Lori changed outfits. But like The Boss says, "Oh and that's alright with me."

Matt and Lori kicked things off with a crab feast at Cantlers in Annapolis (which, by the way, is one of the truly great crab joints in the area). It took almost three hours to drive from Arlington, a trip that usually takes 40 minutes, with the rain coming down so hard at times I though I was going to float away. It was only after I finally got to Cantlers that I heard on WTOP about the two tornadoes that had touched down near Severna Park. That was drive I hope not to repeat any time soon. But all was soon forgotten as the smell of Old Bay filled the bar and the sound of mallets pulverizing claws filled the air. If I had to list my great loves in life--after photography, of course--cracking crab for a few hours would be right up there on the list. (Not far down that list would be teaching newbies how to crack crab, which I got to do for some of Matt and Lori's out-of-town guests.)

I drove back to Annapolis on Friday for the rehearsal and cocktails F at the Annapolis Yacht Club. Note to self: the next time someone says they're going to fire a ceremonial canon, one floor above you, start walking. That thing was loouuuud. (A corollary of this that would come into play the next day: when a ship's captain tells you that you're heading into some rough wake, pay attention.)

Saturday turned out to be a beautiful day, despite some misty rains early in the day. Lori and Matt got married at Old St. Mary's in Annapolis, a church I've always liked shooting in. It's majestic, it's historic, it's beautiful. I had my assistant Matt with me (he made the beautiful overall, above, of Lori and her dad walking down the aisle), which meant there were three Matt's within five feet of each other. Lori arrived at the church in a vintage Rolls, while Matt walked the several blocks down Duke of Gloucester Street from Reynolds Tavern with his groomsmen, snapping his fingers like he was in a Dean Martin movie.

After the service it was on to the Chesapeake Bay Club, sans Bay Bridge drive. Matt and Lori hired a yacht to take them across the bay. It was really gorgeous out on the water. The only hiccup came when we ran into another boat's wake and almost lost half the bridesmaids. Since most of them had their backs to the water, I'm still not sure if they realize just how close they all came to being completely drenched. Inches, I think.

Anyway, I didn't want this to become a blow by blow account and it feels like it's turning into one. So I'm going to skip to some highlights:

It was a great honor seeing both Justice Ginsburg and Chief Justice Roberts at the wedding. I was at the White House the day Justice Ginsburg was nominated to the Court, and I remember her first day on the job as well. There's always a photo op in front of the Court on a new justice's first day and the handshake that then-Chief Justice Rehnquist gave still makes me smile. It was kind of an over-the-top grasp that, well, defied convention.
Thinking back on it, it was very sweet.

Highlight number two: the incredible sunset over the Chesapeake that night. I've never been a sunset-y kind of wedding photographer--too damn cheesy-- but it was hard to avoid on this night. Even Matt, who gets a tad tense (just teasing, Matt) during posed photos seemed to enjoy himself. Considering the rain on Thursday, and even the rain earlier Saturday morning, this was just a perfect sunset to watch. (Given that they're in French Polynesia right now, I'm sure Lori and Matt are up to their ears in beautiful sunsets.)

Last highlight: karaoke! And not just your average, 'Sweet Caroline' kind of karaoke. This was hardcore. In fact, it might have been the only time I've ever seen a mosh pit break out during a karaoke performance. Elbows were flying, beer was spilling, people were really enjoying themselves. And Matt got to belt out a certain song by a guy from Jersey.














The screen door slams
Mary's dress waves
Like a vision she dances across the porch
As the radio plays
Roy Orbison singing for the lonely
Hey that's me and I want you only
Don't turn me home again
I just can't face myself alone again
Don't run back inside
darling you know just what I'm here for
So you're scared and you're thinking
That maybe we ain't that young anymore
Show a little faith, there's magic in the night
You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright
Oh and that's alright with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home