Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Blue

Careful readers of this little blog will have long ago noticed the little sidebar called "A Matt Primer" located on the right hand side of the page. I added the list when I first created The Dark Slide and I didn't think very hard about it at the time. But it's accurate. I am pretty much an Aimee Mann groupie and I did set a SUNY Binghamton record for failing Chaucer four times (hence the Canterbury Tales link) and I do worship the ground that New Yorker cartoonist Roz Chast walks on.

But the first link, for Polish director Krzysztof Kieślowski, really hits closest to home. Though he died too young Kieślowski remains my favorite director. His obsession with themes of fate and chance, as well as his keen attention to color in all his films is nothing short of remarkable. I remember being mesmerized by Irene Jacob in The Double Life of Veronique and even more enchanted by Juliette Binoche in Blue, the second installment of his Three Colors trilogy.

What the heck does this have to do with weddings, you ask? Well, I had to laugh this past weekend because my bride, Andrea Aten, bore more than a passing resemblance to a young Juliette Binoche. And just like a Kieślowski movie, my mind was drawing a blank all day. I knew Andrea looked liked someone, I just couldn't think who! Finally, with my very last thought as I was leaving Raspberry Plain at the end of the night, it hit me.

And in hindsight, which is always perfect, I now realize that there were more Kieślowski connections on Saturday than I thought. On a day that weather forecasters predicted would be bleak, rainy and grim, we ended up with some of the best light and color I've seen.

So rather than yak about things, I'll just post some pictures from the wedding of Andrea Aten and Shaun Kennedy. You can see for yourselves. As always, click on the image for a bigger view.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!


Matt

p.s. No, the last image of the little girl is NOT set up! I was shooting Andrea and Shaun and little Avery just wandered into the frame carrying two bottles of Miller Lite. Now I can say I've seen it all.








4 Comments:

Blogger Kim & Trevor said...

Matt, I recently found your blog and I have been checking in frequently for new beautiful pictures every week. Your stories are equally enjoyable. Thanks for sharing your experiences with everyone.

Also, congratulations to your brother on his book. It's on my list of books to read now.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Matt - we are in st. lucia and have been checking ever since we got here - they look amazing so far and we can't wait to see the rest. it was so awesome to meet you and work with you.

talk to you soon!
shaun and andrea

p.s. we knew the pictures were going to turn out great when we heard you say "the light! the light!"

10:27 AM  
Blogger LaCour said...

One of my favorites...

"Someone knocks at the door of an apartment to borrow salt or sugar, people run into each other in the elevator, and in this way become inscribed in the spectator's memory." -- Krzysztof Kieslowski

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt,
I just started to check out your blog. Very nice work. Looking forward to hearing you speak on Tuesday night at our Dallas ppa meeting.

Scott

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home