Thursday, October 26, 2006

These boots were made for walking


You have to be careful when you write a blog. And curiously enough, it's not the bad things that will get you into trouble, it's the good. You can't write too many glowing things about one couple or else other couples will start to feel left out. One has to be very diplomatic, very reserved and all that.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, can I tell you guys how much fun Christi Trew and Chase Cox are? Christi and Chase were married last week in Chevy Chase, starting with a beautiful ceremony at Blessed Sacrament, the same church where I recently photographed Christy Weschler and Chris Scango's wedding (see below), followed by an awesome reception at the Chevy Chase Club.

It's probably becoming somewhat evident from previous posts, but I tend to bond with couples who laugh a lot and who share my sense of irreverence, especially for the ever-growing pomposity that has infiltrated today's weddings.

Christy Trew is not a pompous kind of gal, and I use the word gal purposefully here. Raised in Colorado, she exudes western culture so much that I half expected a horse to ride up at any moment and whisk her away. The grass is always greener, they say, and maybe I'm just attracted to couples who remind me of something other than my Long Island upbringing.

(Don't get me wrong: I'm still a Met fan, and I still love driving out to Montauk Point, but let's be honest--Route 110 in Farmingdale is not exactly the Rockies.)

As is always the case, I knew Christi would be a great bride the moment she walked into the studio. Her heart was set on one thing--having a fun wedding--and not getting bogged down in the formalities. And when I met up with her in her room at the Chevy Chase Club, nothing had changed. She got ready with the help of cousin--no need for a posse, lit up at the mention of a Bloody Mary, and couldn't go enough about how she wanted to ditch her shoes and get into her boots. Needless to say, her 'I do's' to Chase weren't twenty minutes old when she came out sporting a pair of well-worn boots under her wedding dress.

The boots were just the beginning of a great party, complete with a mini-Hora (they're not Jewish), a dancing alligator (maybe someone can post a comment and let me know exactly what that was all about!), and way too much breakdancing.

And on Monday afternoon, when she should have been relaxing and enjoying the start of her new life, Christi still found time to call and thank me for my efforts.


If you're thinking I'm going to end with a certain John Denver song, after last week's ode to Bruce Springsteen's Thunder Road post, think again. Thunder Road I could type from memory. But John Denver?

As we say on Long Island, fugghedaboutit.


Matt

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Matt. Thanks for the great tribute. The alligator? Beats me. It is some strange Cox family tradition that I have witnessed at every Cox wedding I have attended. We had such a great time- and are still smiling and laughing- the pictures are great! By the way- did you see how much snow Denver got yesterday? Awesome! Still get homesick every now and then :)

Talk to you soon.

Christi

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Matt: You were awesome! And the pictures - I don't even know where to begin, except to say you caught the 'trew' essence of Christi. We can't wait to see the rest of your efforts.
Thank you for your wonderful tribute to our daughter and Chase.
As for the 'hora dance' - just something we do when we are happy. The alligator thing? Hopefully one of the Cox family members can explain it - or maybe no explanation is necessary - just something that everyone enjoys. We all, both families, with all of the extended members, just love to have fun and laugh.
Hope to meet again.
Sue

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heym bye the way- The Blues Glossary - Language of the Blues on About.com, defines the “Alligator” as follows:
“Alligator - Or 'Gator. A dance from Florida that involves squirming on the dance floor.”

Not that this really answers your question, but is somewhat interesting.

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that last one was from me (Christi)- not very blog savvy

3:55 PM  
Blogger matt mendelsohn said...

This may qualify ass my first editor's clarification: Just to be clear, I wasn't poking fun at the mini-Hora! I thought it was amazing! Matt

3:58 PM  
Blogger matt mendelsohn said...

See that? Now I have to correct the correction: I meant "as," not "ass."

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record it has nothing to do with the University of Florida. The tradition of the gator dance started with my parents generation. Specifically my Uncle Hank Cox was renowned for his ability to do the gator. I think it came from a song in the 60s, not sure about that. Anyhow the tradition lives on and now has a family "cult" following (complete with referring to my Uncle as the "Godfather" from the movie Old School). The use of the stuffed alligator became a key part of the tradition a few years back. This was my generations unique contribution to the tradition. The mini-hora was something completely new at this wedding. I am not sure what spurred that one on.

Thanks for the tribute, Matt. We anxiously await the rest of the pictures!

Chase

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are great. I wish you could have done my wedding.

Neat to see you blogging. I will bookmark you. :)

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home